Friday, June 03, 2005

Old Dude Mentality

You know, I was thinking. Here I am at age forty something helping to "coach" (a term used for what I am apparently doing) the church softball team. I am not playing this year because the simple fact of the matter is that although I am in about the best shape that I have seen in twenty years, my knees and back are shot due to years of abuse. Spending about 10 years of my life over 300# and another 10 over 400# seems to have taken it's toll on the Pudgeman. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining just simply stating how it is. The main reason I got to be so big was not because of my biological make up or the fact that "society" did something to cause a mental defect which shot me into the life of morbid obesity, but it was sin! I loved (was addicted) to food. That demon still haunts me to this day. So, getting back to my original point that life of overindulgence has brought me to where I am now. Please understand that the sin in this whole thing has been forgiven and God remembers it no more, but the toll it has taken on me will be with me the rest of my life.
I woke up at midnight last night (yes to use the bathroom, I am forty something) and I couldn't fall back to sleep for a couple of hours. So being the resourceful person that I am, I turned on my TV to the PAX network. See they run worship music throughout the early morning hours. So I laid in bed and listened, prayed, thought and listened some more. Then the song came on that I needed (yep God is in control) "Lord Reign In Me"! Wow, have you ever really sang that prayer before, or even prayed that song before. What powerful words! I don't remember much after that song because I was back to sleep once again.
Here's where the old dude mentality comes into play. I thought how much pain there has been in my life because of MY sin! How many things in my life have been lessened because of MY wrong doing! Now I didn't get depressed but I got excited about sharing this next idea. God reminded me of something that I had heard once before (probably from Tom in a sermon), it's the three "R's":
Reach Up - To God for his wisdom and strength.
Reach In - Allowing others to be a integrated part of your life.
Reach Out - Share with others both your successes and failures.
So the lesson is this, don't let the pain and distress of sin keep you off of the team. If it gets to the point where you can't play, then coach! Be blessed today.

4 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

Well put, DEP. I can't tell you how many things in my life have been messed up because of my sin, but I can tell you that God has corrected the course as soon as I turned back to Him. That is the beautiful part. He can take even the most awful things and use them for good! That's why Ro 8:28 is one of my all time favorite verses, it applies to all situations! BBT yourself!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Russell said...

Sammy stole my thunder, so I'll go one better and post the text:

And we know that in All Things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Emphasis Mine. BBF

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

:P pbbbbt

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Kodiak said...

We all have our battle scare from living in and fighting sin in our lives. I have an addiction to food also, can't seem to live w/o it. ;)
And if you can't coach be a fan.
GO TEAM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home