Monday, June 06, 2005

Interpersonal Connection Renewal

You know, I was thinking. Yesterday was a great day for me. First of all I had a wonderful time of worship and praise to our Lord. Then I spent the rest of the day with one of my closest friends Pastor Tom! It's kind of a unique relationship that he and I have with one another. We are piers, friends, brothers and pals and yet there is another dimension to our relationship. Tom is also a man who I look up to as a mentor. He has helped me through some of the toughest times of my life by being both loving and honest. He is a person in whom I have complete and absolute trust! He will give me a huge hug around my neck or a swift kick in my seat when needed. We can literally share anything with each other and not need to worry about negatively impacting our relationship. I accept him for who he is and he does the same with me.
Our conversations yesterday went from deep theology to blogging to base jumping (special on OLN that I couldn't get Tom away from) to sports to music and to family just to name a few. We got very serious a few times, and was just cutting up most of the time. Tom is certainly a blessing in my life. Our time together means so much to both of us and it seems like it is becoming more rare, so me make the most of every opportunity we get.
Now, guys especially, who do you have in your life you can be as real as you want to be with? Who is that friend and mentor that you couldn't imagine living without. Who will pick you up, dust you off, and literally kick you back into the game of life? If you thought of a name, share that with me. If you said "I don't have someone like that", then it's time to begin forming some of those relationships. Remember to have a "real" friend in your life, you have to be a "real" friend. Be blessed today.

7 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger big j said...

Ha ha i'm the first one, now to the subject i have a lot of people that I can do that with. My wife, mother, father, and yes even d.e.p. I know. :-)

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I would have to say first of all, my wife.
A friend that I went all through school with was a deep confidant and we were very real w/ one another, but I don't believe I have a friend like him now. He moved away, and has changed his life view. I have trouble keeping more than a casual relationship w/ him anymore.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Russell said...

Of course those who are married and are serious about it must name their wife first. Otherwise they ought to check out their marriage. That's exactly what a mate is for.

As for another person for me that fits the bill. I'd have to say my buddy Brandon. It's such a funny story how we even became friends, but he's the only person I've kept in touch with sans college we are completely open and honest and original with each other. It's great. Read more about Deloach here.

I'm on the path to growing closer to quite a few more very close friends as well....

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, dude, that would have to be my lovely bride, Ms. Donna, aka the lovely Mrs. Y. We are married and we are very serious about it. But you really have to go thru some tough times to develop that relationship. I have some close friends I have been thru the wringer with that I greatly value (ie Tom) As James says: 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

I have heard is said that you don't have a "true" friend until you have had a major disagreement. Going through that will tell you how real the relationship is. I believe that is the heart of the James passage you quoted.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Well,
Let me think about this one,
Hmmm..
Ya my wife,
Other than that I do not have any close friends to talk with.
all of my old friends got me into too much trouble!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

I know a few people who would like to give me a good swift kick. But they know how many friends I have who keep me on the right track. I have my two Semper Fi Brothers in the Lord; WHere's Jim and Dandy Don. This is a given but my wife Jackie (has a full time job keeping me inline). So not to miss anyone all my blogger buddies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home