Friday, June 10, 2005

Dirt Playing 101

You know, I was thinking. Last night at the second game of a double header, I looked over just to the left of the bench. There I saw Evan Drake Walsh just completely layed out on the ground on his belly playing in the dirt. He was just absolutely covered from head to toe and appeared to be loving it. I remember as a child (#1 this one might just take you back) we had this very large area of sand out in the back forty of the Tuttle Hill Road Compound where we would go for hours to play in the dirt. To this day my mother is still complaining about the number of spoons she is missing because we would take them out to the sand and never bring them back. We would have our friends or other kids in the family come over and play with us. It was a great time! No worries. No responsibilities. Just a kid having fun playing in the dirt! Yes, that was a great time. Afterwards when we finally came into the house mom would give us one of those looks and just point towards the bathtub. She'd say something like "don't even think about coming into my house looking like that". I don't know if it was more fun playing in the sand or the bath tub, but for some reason we made that fun too. In fact, in a lot of ways it was more fun getting clean then it was getting dirty! The only problem was that we wouldn't stay clean forever. We would get up the next day and start the getting dirty process all over again. But we always knew how to get clean again.
I think the same thing holds true spiritually. We spend a good portion of our lives just playing in the dirt. Paul would say that was our life in the flesh. Since we don't know that there is anything wrong with it we play and laugh and have a good time. We will even invite our friends over to play in the dirt with us. Only as adults there are worries. There are resoponsibilities. Playing in the dirt a lot of times will keep us from those things that we should do. With most people, there comes a day that we want to go and spend time with the Father. He takes one look as us and instead of pointing to the bath tub, he points to His son. The Father says to us something like "don't even think about coming into my house looking that way". But just like mom would do, he provides everything necessary to get us clean. And you know what, it's much more fun getting clean then it was getting dirty. Just like it was in my early years it's still hard to stay clean. But guess what, the Father keeps on applying the blood of Jesus over and over and over.... He never stops cleaning us up! Where are you at today? Are you still dirty from the world? Have you ever been cleaned up by the Father? It really is a wonderful thing. Be blessed today.

5 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Blogger Jay said...

You know, I was thinking,
How great is dirt!
Remember the old saying,God made dirt, and dirt dont hurt!
BBT.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Kodiak said...

I personnally have seen this dirt hole. My, you were busy digging a hole. They have since named both of these holes:
London Aggregate and Stoneco(ROTFL). Wow you really did some serious digging. On the topic of digging, Christ is at working digging in our hearts...Is he finding golden nuggets or just iron pyrite and other crude. Great post DEP.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger big j said...

I played in dirt last night. All I got was sore. :-{

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Kodiak said...

God played in the dirt. See Gen 2:7, 19

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

DEP, I love the post, not just cuz of Evan. It's a great metaphor for our lives. I wanted to play in the dirt, too, but I didn't want to hose off naked in my front yard. The neighbors, you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home