Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Becoming Holy

You know, I was thinking. We hear the word Holy used a lot these days. We sing it in our songs and we pray it in our prayers but do we really try to practice this daily? I don't have a dictionary by my side but I will give you the simplistic Pudge definition of this word.....God! To me, becoming Holy is to strive to become like God! Not to become God, but to become like him! That is exactly what the gifts of the Spirit describe in Galatians Chapter 5! We need to become a walking, loving, fogiving, praying, blessing machine! God has called us to do great things in our lives but great things are not accomplished by great people, great things are accomplished by people who strive to become like a great God!

Becoming Holy isn't always easy to do. It requires us to go against our very nature. It requires us to do the things that are just the opposite of what we want to do. When somebody wrongs or hurts us, our tendency is to retaliate or to strike back. God's tendency is to love and forgive! This is part of the maturing process and believe me when I say, we never stop learning. Becoming Holy takes practice and patience. It doesn't happen over night and it never ends.

Finally let me leave you with one of my favorite verses from Isaiah chapter 40:

28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Be blessed beyond belief today.

3 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I like those verses too. great thoughts for today, pudge! See ya tonite.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

DEP wrote: When somebody wrongs or hurts us, our tendency is to retaliate or to strike back.

This is so true. I can say for myself, that I have a tendency to jump into action. Knowing this I have learned to adapt and not react to the infraction(s).

James 1:19 (New International Version)
19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

a recall to the 50 days of love, bruce!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home