Monday, January 16, 2006

Shower Theology

You know, I was thinking. Sunday morning when I woke up I went down stairs and got the coffee going, let the dog out and realized that I am really tired! I had been going full tilt for about 5 days straight without really any down time and I was just plain wiped out! But, it was Sunday and I had a lot of things that needed to be done before I got to church so I finished my coffee and got in the shower. Somewhere between the sudsing up and the rinsing off a neat little three point sermon entered my head. One that I had heard before but still real applicable. It was the one about the differences between the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee. You know about how the Dead Sea only take and never gives so it has no life. The Sea of Galilee give and takes and has a ton of life in it and around it. Those were the first two points the third one is the one that hit me. What happens to a sea that only give and doesn't take back in? Well, I thought, it dries up! It becomes an empty sea bed. That's when I realized that I was running low. I realized that I hadn't spent enough time for my own regeneration! I realized that I needed to fill back up again. You see when I get busy it seems that I neglect my personal study time (not prepping for teaching, but time in the Word just because) and I hadn't been praying like I usually do. So, I did the things that needed to be done before I got to church and headed straight for the prayer room. I shared with Jim and Russ that I wanted them to pray for me to be refilled! I was starting to run empty. Now, if I don't do this I know what will happen. It's going to lead to burn out. This week is a week dedicated to restoration! Restoration of my study, prayer, eating and exercise habits! Treating the whole person body, sould and spirit. I have to find more balance! God is always there to give us the messages that we need BEFORE we have a problem! We just have to take time to listen. Be blessed beyond belief today.

8 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I am so glad you have noticed this before you burned out. I have burned out many times, and it takes so long to recover, sometimes I don't think I ever fully recovered.
Thanks again for a wonderful post!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger where's jim? said...

Sounds like we could all use a little water from the sanctuary..

Ezekiel 47:1-12

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Russell said...

Was this a preemptive post? ;)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

We all have been in that situation. Many times it goes on unrecognized for a long time.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

To all! Yes this is a preemptive post. We all have so many things going on in life. Career, family, personal, social, physical and spiritual. It is easy to not take the time to fill back up! God wants us to be giving yes, but balanced. Please know that I share this to encourage everyone to look for those signs and as Sammy so well stated, take care of things BEFORE you burn out! It's easier to refill then it is to recover. B4T

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Preach it brother. If I were to personally define the term "burn out" in this context it would be something like: "A psychological condition caused by being too busy to allow ones self to be properly rejuvenated. This causes a lack of interest and desire to do even the simplist of tasks." B4T

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

Doug.....I have felt this way the last few days....I need to refocus as well.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger where's jim? said...

Jesus said to her, ’Give Me a drink’ " ( John 4:7 ). How many of us are expecting Jesus Christ to quench our thirst when we should be satisfying Him! We should be pouring out our lives, investing our total beings, not drawing on Him to satisfy us. "You shall be witnesses to Me . . ." ( Acts 1:8 ). That means lives of pure, uncompromising, and unrestrained devotion to the Lord Jesus, which will be satisfying to Him wherever He may send us.

Beware of anything that competes with your loyalty to Jesus Christ. The greatest competitor of true devotion to Jesus is the service we do for Him. It is easier to serve than to pour out our lives completely for Him. The goal of the call of God is His satisfaction, not simply that we should do something for Him. We are not sent to do battle for God, but to be used by God in His battles. Are we more devoted to service than we are to Jesus Christ Himself?

From My Utmost for His Highest, today's entry...
http://www.rbc.org/utmost/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home