Friday, July 15, 2005

Friday Feast - An Ode To The Women Whom I Love!

You know, I was thinking. I have spoken about a lot of the men in my life who have been such a great help to me over the years. As a single guy who does like to do the guy things in life it seems that those relationships have really been good for me. But, there have been several women over the years who have been just as influential and I would like to pay tribute to four of them today.

The Love Mrs. T. - Sandra Thorpe whose husband is one of my nearest and dearest buddies. She and I did not hit it off well at first but kinda grew into our relationship. I will never forget the day after a Sunday morning worship, Sandy came up to me and you know what Doug I really like you. Sandy has always made me feel welcome in her home and has always been willing to share her husband with me. He and I have traveled the eastern half of the United States together in seach of baseball perfection. She is a great Christian momma and wife and a dear friend and example to me.

Verna Mae - Vera Mae Hawkins the pastor's wife. She has got to be the quietest woman that I personally know. Her love and caring for others is only exceeded by her ability to put up with Tom and his friends (I would be one of those). Vera has been a huge encouragement to me over the years. She has always loved me for who I am, why I'm not quite sure but she always has. When I think about the characteristics that I am looking for in a future Mrs. DEP, many of Vera's traits come to mind. She is warm and kind but don't take no guff. She is quietly strong and a great leader of people. I have often teased Vera and told her that if Tom was to meet Jesus before me that I wanted to be first in line!

Sis - Patti (Ann) Fraley has been my sister for over forty two years now. She has to be the single biggest spiritual infuence in my Christian walk. She and I have had very few disagreements over the years and the few time that we did I would usually see the errors of my ways. Sis has been through a lot in her life and through it all she has remained faithful to Jesus. She and I both come from a very restrictive set of spiritual traditions but have been blessed to experience the true freedom that is in Christ. She is an inspiration to me and I love her dearly!

Momma - Verdie (Mae) Mollette is one of the greatest women that I know. Certainly can be stubborn sometimes but that's only cause she is so strong. She and my dad raised a family in the best manner they knew how. She has always worked hard both inside and outside our home but I never recall her complaining. She has been my teacher in so many areas that I cannot even begin to list them. She has shown the closest thing to unconditional love that I have ever seen from a human being. After 79 years of life she has her share of ailments but she is still plugging away at it. I cannot imagine a life without her being a part of it. Nothing more I can say but, I love you mom and be blessed today.

Who are the women who have influenced your life? Especially you guys out there! Share some of that today and of course be blessed today.

9 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Kodiak said...

Naturally I would have to speak about Jackie my wife of soon to be 21 years. She sees in me the things that I don't always see and she knows how to bring out the best in me and those around her. I love you Honey.
Next WOuld have to be my mother, Rebecca Joanne. She has nurtured and stood by me when I thought I was all alone.
Then there is Char, Char has taught me more about missions and what it is like to be a missionary. She took me in like one of her own sons. She did more for the college age group. When I had no money she would buy me meals. She did this on a waitress's salary. She certainly had a servents heart.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger where's jim? said...

Well, first and formost I would remiss if I did not start with the lovely Mrs. Y, alias Donna B., who puts up with me on a daily basis, brought me to the Lord and has stuck by me through thick and thin. 2nd, my mom, Flossie, aka Flo who went to be with the Lord in 1988 and who gave life to yours truly at the age of 44, and being her one and only child was considered somewhat of a miracle at that point. She claims it was the ferris wheel ride at the Lorain County Fair that fateful fall in 1953. Being 44 years of age the doctors believed me to be a tumor for several months, and much to their surprise... Among her many accomplishments including passing with all her parts intact and going to be with the Lord while enjoying one of her most favorite passtimes, watching football on TV..She financed my first satelite dish so we could watch the Browns on TV back in 1988 but lived only to see one or two games on it. Her take on the investment in the satelite was, "you can either spend it now or later, I am not taking it with me".. Very wise..

Thirdly I would have to mention all my daughters and grandaughters. They have brought me great joy. Nothing can bring you more joy or frustration than children!!!

Well I must be off..

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Pete said...

Amy "Sloppy Jo" Bortell. I did not give her the nickname, I would guess that it came from the other men in her life(Brothers and Father). She is a blessing to me everyday. I love her sweet smile and kind eyes. I even love her sweet correction of my ways. It might not seem like it at the time babe. But I am listening, I am just a little prideful but I am growing. I can't wait for the years to come when we start our family and do as the Lord commanded, to multiply.

My Mom, Jill Bortell, the youngest and only girl of a family of 7. She was an encouragement and teacher to me throughout my formative years. I will never forget her songs, her laughter, and her love for all of her kids. Please pray for my Mom, she has lost her joy. Pray that she finds it again.

My Mother in-law Vera "lead foot" Hawkins. She as brought me into her family as I was one of her own. Doug you are right she is quite but, when she speaks you had better listen. You do not want to feel the wrath of Vera. Just Joking.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Russell said...

My girl Tonia, My mom Verona, My sis Sloppy. These three are the personification of love and grace and loyalty and encouragement and forgiveness. I'm the luckiest slob-of-a-man around!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

My momma has been a huge inspiration to me. She has been an awesome mom and continues to be. I love her dearly, and find myself doing things that she does, that I swore I'd never do=). I love her.

My sis Jen--we are very close as sisters and friends. I love Her

My good friends Julie and Laura. I love them like sisters. They are so encouraging to my family and I. I love them. There is more too say, but time does not permit.

Mrs. Donna Yearsin who has treated us like family from the beginning. Her heart is enormous, ready to help anyone out, even when it may not be great timing. When I look at Donna, I see emense love. I love her.

I could continue, but must restrain myself.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

I agree with being able to continue. There are many many more that I could add to my list as well! BBT

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Doug..... but, I do have my eye on you!

...and by the way, I did something on my blog today! Check it out!

Tom Sr.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

Mine would have to be:
1. Wowgirl, because she gets me.
2. My momma, Dolores Grace, she brought me into this world, and gave me a foundation in faith I continue to build on.
3. My sisters (biological) they did teach me a little about girls, and I can braid Gracie's hair b/c of them.
4. Barb Callis, she is a true spiritual momma to me.
5. All my sisters at NewSong.
6. more

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger wowgirl said...

How blessed am I to be mentioned X2??!!
1. My momma, Tortikat (a moniker I believe she prefers to "Marta") she has taught me so much about the woman I want to be and thru God's wisdom (whether she always knew it or not:) guided me into the woman I am. She never gives herself enough credit.

2. Ms Krazy K'Lover Kelly Nevins, who Ive wrote on before, blesses me daily (usually 4-5x daily) with support, fellowship, friendship, conscience, humor and truly is the sister I never had.

3. My sisters @ Newsong who are growing blessings in my life.

4. Sam's Momma who continues to be an enormous spiritual influence on me and is one of the best Mommas around ( but then again she'd HAVE to be now wouldn't she:)

5. Ms Vera Hawkins who , like DEP said, inspires me with her quiet strength, deep spiritual devotion, and reminds me that you can survive 20+ years of marriage married to a wild man:)

6. and many others

 

Post a Comment

<< Home