Thursday, July 28, 2005

Larry Brown Syndrome

You know, I was thinking. A couple of years ago when Larry Brown signed with the Detroit Pistons my buddy Shel said to me "I'll give him two years before he breaks your heart"! What Shel was talking about was coach Brown's reputation for not staying put for very long and not completing his contractual obligations. For some reason he and his agent are able to convince teams that he is the man for the job, and to spite the obvious downfalls, he wins a lot of games and draws fans! But that got me to thinking, what is the reputation that goes before I even show up on the scene? We all have a reputation at work, church and with our friends. What are people that we know and love saying about us? Now, this is not necessarily bad. We need to be aware that it is happening and that we need to make sure that our reputation is indeed a good one. We don't want to say one thing and do another. Blessings from God abound in my life and I want people to know that. The first thing I want folks to think about when they think about me is "he follows Jesus". My desire to have that reputation will envoke my actions in that direction. What is your reputation? What are your desires in life? Be blessed today.

11 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger where's jim? said...

Depending on who you talk to you could get a very dispersion of opinion on my reputation. That does not concern me. There is only one ultimate Judge and it is my desire to hear "Well done"..but not for a little while yet...

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

That is true. If you truly believe you are attemting to be like Jesus and follow him, then it really doesn't matter what people think, only GOD. He's the only (and Jesus)one that is going to save our sinning bottoms anyway.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

You know, I completely and respectfully disagree with one aspect of the "it doesn't matter what other people think" philosophy. It works when it comes to the fact that you will not compromise your morals or beliefs for any reason what so ever. But it doesn't work for the person who is devoted to Christ and they constantly leave a negative vibe behind when it comes to dealing with others. As I said yesterday, we need to make a stand for Jesus, but we also need to make sure we reflect the love and nature of Jesus! So in that light it better matter to all of us what others think of us because we want them to think the same of our Saviour. BBT

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger big j said...

but d.e.p. you may leave behind a good vibe and some people still will take that the wrong way. I think that's what was coming across to me. that's what I do. :-}

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Then why is one of the qualities (qualifications) of a Pastor (Elder) to be a person of "good reputation"? BBT

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I think that you must be of good standing in the congregation. If you are not, people will concentrate more on your faults, than your leadership. If I don't show others I can walk w/ Jesus, how am I to expect them to follow me when I am leading? I don't mean that we are to be perfect, b/c we all know that only perfection comes through Jesus, but I am saying that we have to keep trying.

I have to agree with the pudge on this one. I have seen many "Bible thumping" Christians who are miserable people. I have to think, "if I were not attached to Jesus, why would I want to be? Look how unhappy they are."

I try every day to make sure my way is clear and my light is shining, most days I fail at some point, but the point is to keep relighting that lamp, and clearing the distractions away.

GBY

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

DEP, your right, there have been believers who have been overbearing to the unchurched to the point of being abrasive. However, everyone has a God given purpose, even the miserable bible-thumper. God is using them to do His work, whether it is appealing to others or not.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Russell said...

Doug, is this one of those times?

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

One of what times opotm (oh puppy of the mud)? BBT

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

We must live our lives in such a way that the world says "give me some of that". My desire is to live, breath, work, fellowship, etc., in such a manor that the world doesn't see me but they see my Master, Lord and Saviour, Jesus. It's not an easy task, because I can be very selfish, I want to do things my way. If I could only get out of the way.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Russell said...

You guys really need to read this book I just finished. New Way to Be Human : A Provocative Look at What It Means to Follow Jesus by: Charlie Peacock

 

Post a Comment

<< Home