Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Thou Shalt Hate Thy Father & Mother?

You know, I was thinking. Today I read Luke 14. This is one chapter that might be a little difficult to put into practice. One of the costs of following Jesus is to "hate your father and mother yes even your own life". What is our Saviour saying? Jesus gave us a Gospel of love, grace and mercy! Why is He now telling us we have to hate? Well, here is the gospel according to Pudge. Our love for Jesus will often times put us in situations where we will have to make a choice. Especially back in the first century being a disciple could potentially cost you your life or those you love their lives. There may even be times when a parent or a loved one chooses not to follow the Saviour and we must go on and be obedient no matter what the cost. You see following Jesus and showing love to Him will (should) supersede our love for anyone else. So in comparison to our love for Jesus, it appears that we must not love (hate) others around us. But then the flip side of this is that we MUST show love and compassion for all of those who Jesus loves! Wow, this can get confusing!
Bottom line - Don't water down or compromise the Gospel of Jesus for any reason! Count the cost of being a desciple and realize that you and I MUST GIVE UP EVERYTHING (including relationships) in order to follow the Saviour! In return Jesus will bless us 100 times what we have given up! Those are spiritual blessings and not American dollars! No matter what God keeps his promises! You are to be blessed beyond belief today!

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger where's jim? said...

I must take careful inventory of what I need to surrender. I have been blessed that to this point I have not had to make choices between mother or brother and Jesus, but we all know people who have. What parts of myself have I not yet surrendered? IDYBT...PS excuse me I must be off I have to go try out my new oxen....

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I hope and pray that I will never have to make that choice. Thus far in my life, I haven't had to! Thanks be to God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home