Thursday, July 06, 2006

Patriotism?

You know, I was thinking. Over the past several days I have heard a lot of great talk about this country and how blessed we are to live here! I am so very thankful that I live in the U.S.A. I still shed a tear when I hear the National Anthem. I still well up with pride when I see old glory waving in the breeze. I still pray every day for the leaders of our land and the soldiers in the battlefield. But I can't help but wonder are we truly blessed to be living in this land? Now, please hear me out on this point, I am not suggesting that I am an unhappy American but I think there are some inconsistancies in the American way and the Christian way.
We live in a land where self indulgence and aquiring wealth are the two highest priorities, Jesus' two highest priorities are love and service. American's want honor and strength, Jesus was meek and humble. You see God's priorities are so different from "American priorities" that it is easy for Christians to get caught up in the wave of patriotism and forget that we ought to be Christians first and Americans second.
Let's all take a lesson from the Romans. The Roman empire was perhaps the strongest and most influencial in all of history. The short story is that the empire crumbled from within due to immoratlity and self indugence. It was easy pickins for conquering! I don't want this to happen to America! From now on continue to celebrate July 4th as our nations independence day but let's look at Easter as the REAL day to celebrate our freedoms. Be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

So Hawkman, what does this mean to Christian Americans? How does this quote effect us today? We as Christians know that we don't really own anything and that we aren't really free! So how does General Washington's statement to the Continental Army impact us now? B4T

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

Devotion to our God, and devotion to our country don't have to be mutually exclusive. We need to be devoted to returning our country to GOD.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Sammy, I do agree with you that our devotions do not have to be mutually exclusive but many people put their patriotic desires in front of their Christian desires! That's where we must be careful. B4T

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Now Hawkman that is what I am getting at! One nation without God will crumble and fall. Although one nation under God may still indeed fall, the foundation on which it stands will never crumble! B4T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home