Monday, September 11, 2006

Some Things I Just Won't Forget

You know, I was thinking. Today marks the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Like most people there are more than a few events that will be forever burned in my memory. I just wanted to take time today to share some of them with you.
It was a morning like any other. I was at work before 8 a.m. and I was sitting at my computer. Sometime after 9:00 my mother called and said that a plane had flown into the world trade center in NYC. At that time I had no idea that it was a commercial jet, but in my mind I imagined a small single engine plane that had veered off course and flown too low. About 15 minutes later our Operations manager came in and asked if I had heard what was going on. I said something like "yeah, something about a plane hitting the world trade center." He said "yeah, and a second plane hit the second tower and a plane has been flown into the Pentagon, we are under attack!" I immediately began trying to log on to a news service, it took awhile but I finally got on to CNBC. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and reading, I just went numb. It wasn't until I got home from work that I saw the video of the second plane hitting the second tower. Shortly thereafter, I saw congress on the steps of the Capitol building singing "God Bless America." I can remember feeling very numb about everything. The only thing I knew to do was to pray! So I did. It was a time of great confusion and high emotions and I knew it was going to take some time before I would be able to sort all of my feelings out.
The acts of aggressions that we made against the United States that day were tragic! Our entire world changed in just a few moments. Things in the country will never be the way that they were before 9/11 and maybe that's a good thing. We as a people are better prepared to guard against terroristic acts. I would like to also think that maybe we might just realize that as a nation we really cannot stand alone without God. I would love to see our congressmen and congresswomen stand on the steps of the Capitol again and sing "God Bless America", but without a tragedy to go with it, that probably won't happen.
Give somebody a big hug today and remind them to never forget! Be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger loved truly said...

I remember that day. Work gave us the option to leave early...I took it, went to pick up my son and we went home. I can't find the words to express all that I felt that day.

God Bless.

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oblivious life ended that day.

I never watched or listened to the news before that (I had no knowledge that the tradecenters even existed before that day). Now it is a daily part of my routine. Every single day I check the news online regularly and always make the rounds on the cable networks at night.

Also, the frustration of not being able to get on the internet immediately after hearing of the news lead me to purchase a transistor radio for work (which in turn lead me love sports talk radio and to XM satellite radio).

Yeah, my head is no longer in the sand. I'm much more aware of my surroundings now.

ps. I remember crazy long lines at the gas station going home. People waiting for hours for gas. Strange how rumors can generate and run so quickly.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at work, listening on the radio. I got home for lunch just before the second tower collapsed. My youngest daughter was watching in tears and cried out something when the second tower went down. I don't remember what she said, but I remember the moment and the feelings of fear, helplessnes, anger and disbelief that were running through me. I prayed a lot that day as well.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thing I'll not forget is the trip we made to ground zero the following summer. For those of you who don't know about it, some of us guys were in NYC for a Yankees game and found out that we were like 4 hours early, so when they said "whatcha' wanna do now?", we voted on going to ground zero. VERY humbling experience and another that I won't soon forget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home