Friday, May 18, 2007

Some Regrets But Life Goes On

You know, I was thinking. Yesterday The Original Mud Puppy had a post that really made me think. He talked about why some dads suck and well quite frankly I was one of those dads years ago. In my first marriage I had a daughter whom I loved dearly but because of a failing marriage and a serious lack of confidence in myself I gave my little girl up for adoption to her maternal grandparents. I basically gave up on my responsibilities and joys of being a father. What Russ is experiencing right now I missed out on but I will give God the glory here. My little girl turned out to be a fine young woman. She has her own challenges and struggles but she is a Christian woman who knows that God loves her. Now, thanks to the efforts of several people she knows that her daddy loves her as well.

I can do nothing to make up for my absence in her early life. All I can do is be the best daddy to her now that I can be. The added blessing here is that I also have two sons that my wife brought into our marriage. It is wonderful that I get to be their dad. I really believe that God is giving me a second chance at fatherhood! I don't believe for one minute that I can explain away my actions of nearly fifteen years ago but I can move forward and go beyond the man that I used to be and become the man that God wants me to be. Thank you Mud Puppy for making me think and causing me to be thankful. Be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dougaliss-

God has done some amazing things in your life! Thank you so much for allowing me to join the ride!

rth

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Vera would say, You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start right now and make a brand new end. Amen!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

Are regrets sinful? This is a serious question, and one to which I don't have an answer.
At men's group the other night we were talking about our lives prior to having a relationship w/ Jesus, as well as some things we still do of which we are not happy.

bottom line: Are regrets sinful?

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Sammy, is it wrong to feel sorry over something that we have done and has caused hurt to people? I don't think it is. Regret in and of itself (in my opinion) is not sinful if it motivates us to change. Two prime examples are Peter and Judas. Peter's sorrow lead to repentance and the glorification of the Father. Judas' sorrow lead to suicide. It's not the regret that is sinful but the way we handle it can be. Don't know if this makes much since or not, but it's at least what I think. B4T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home