Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Traditions

You know, I was thinking. This is the second year in a row that I will be spending Thanksgiving day away from Milan. Last year we went down to Rachel's sister's home down in Memphis and this year we are enjoying the gang up in Waterford. Rachel's two sisters, brother-in-law and nephew all arrived in Michigan yesterday afternoon and I will be heading home sometime today. We are establishing our own traditions right now and neat thing is that we are taking some of what makes this wonderful holiday special to each of us and combining them together.

This year I am trying something new. I will be putting a turkey on the rotisserie and add a little hint of mesquite smoke just for some excitement. I have never done a turkey on the rotisserie before so I figure that I will do it as if it were just a big chicken. I did find out a couple of interesting tidbits though and that is that you need to cook your white meat to 161 degrees and the dark meat to 180! Now, this is normally not a problem because dark meat cooks faster because there is less density. For me this is easy since I only heat one side of the grill to rotisserie, therefore I will keep the dark meat to the side of the heat source. I have a thermometer that I can put into the breast so that I don't kill the family. The rest is easy.

Another tradition that I will definately keep is that of the annual Lions game. I have prewarned my wife and she is willing to make this sacrifice for me (thus one of many reasons that I love her). I figure that with everything considered I should give the grill the bird at half time. This should put us eating at about 6 p.m. My wife and her sisters will be contributing to the rest of the dinner. I have some ideas of what we will have but no specifics.

Mostly Thanksgiving is about family. I get a couple of great days with Rachel and the boys and then I will be spending time down in Milan on Saturday and take advantage of 5 straight days off. Show your love to those that are close to you and never let that go unsaid. Live like there's no tomorrow and don't leave any of your love on the table. Enjoy your holiday and be blessed beyond belief today.

3 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pass the turkey, please. I'll have white meat. Thanks, mmm mmm

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How big a turkey was it? Seems agressive to me to put a big bird on at halftime and expect it to be done by 6 pm. We ate at 6 also and I put my 11 pound bird in at about 1 pm. (It did get R done by 6 by the way.) Reminds me of a Thanksgiving we had at my sisters house many years ago(she has gone to be with the Lord). Vicky (or Chick as we called her), put the turkey in the oven exactly 3 hours and 30 minutes before we were to eat because that is what the directions said! We finally did eat, when the bird got done. Kinda makes me think that not unlike turkeys, things happen in God's time, not our time. This is wonderful because God is not bound by time, He is timeless. Missed you at practice last night, it was almost like the old gang back together again, but different. Have fun in Milan today and remember to root for Conneticut in the defacto Big East Championship game. A win by the Huskies puts the Bucks back into the National Championship game. If that does not work out, a win by Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship puts the Bucks back into the game and the Roses go to the Illini...Well at the least we are assurred of Roses... My thanks goes out to the Razorbacks of Arkansas, who so kindly upset the LSU Tigers. Seems the SEC is not what they were last year. Seems no conference is what is was last year. Well anyways, Go Bucks. I must be off...P.S How did the bird turn out?

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Jimmy, the bird got done at about 6:30 which worked out great. It was a 12.5# bird and things went well. I will make some subtle changes the next time I do a turkey but for the most part it was a hit. B4T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home