Friday, July 29, 2005

Friday Feast - An Ode To Catchers

You know, I was thinking. Over the years I have watched a lot of baseball in my life (I do mean a lot) and have always admired catchers. The men who have strapped on "the tools of ignorance" over the years have always impressed me. I became a softball catcher several years ago simply because I was too stinkin fat to play anywhere else on the ballfield. I grew to love playing this position and have continued on whenever I can. Now with the knees shot and the back getting week I don't play too much anymore, but today I give a tribute to those whom I have enjoyed watching squat behind home plate over the years. These four players are not representative of the best over the years but simply my favorite:
#4 - Lance Parrish. This guy is huge! I saw him up close once and I could not imagine anyone that would even try to take him out. He was a member of the 1984 championship team and a great hitter. I remember the big orange outlining on his catcher's mit to make it easier for the pitchers to locate their target.
#3 - Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez. I loved to watch this guy play long before he became a Tiger. When he was with the Ranger's my buddy Shel called him the best catcher the he had ever personally seen play the game. This guys, in his prime, is the total package! He can hit and throw as well as anyone who has ever caught. But, most importantly he is the one after whom I received my nickname.
#2 - Bill Freehan. Great catcher for the Tigers in the sixties and seventies. Bill caught the final out in the 1968 world series in which the Tigers came back from being down 3-1 to win the whole thing. He even threw out the great Lou Brock while trying to steal. Overall Freehan wasn't the greatest catcher that I ever saw but as a boy growing up watching the Tigers he certainly became one of my Favorites.
#1 - Johnny Bench. The greatest catcher to ever play the game. None were better! Bench could throw a perfect strike to second base while still squatting. His right hand was so large that he could hold seven baseballs in it with each of them actually touching his hand. He had a great bat to boot. He was part of the "Big Red Machine" managed by George "Sparky" Anderson and was elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame in his first year of eligibility. Hands down the best I ever watched play the game.
Who are some of your favorites? Be blessed today.

10 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger Russell said...

I'm a big fan of both Pudges! My man Paul is nice too! You might want to ask tonia about her favorite catcher who happens to "play" for the Mets.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Kodiak said...

Bill Freehan

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Pete said...

what is an orage outline. I have never heard of that.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

The outer two inches or so of his mit were painted orange! It was pretty cool! BBT

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Russell said...

I think he was making an attempt to correct your spelling...

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with all the idol worship?

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

What spelling mistake? BBT

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger where's jim? said...

What about Joe Azcue and Johnny Romano?? What about Sandy Alomar, Enar Diaz, Bo Diaz, Ray Fosse and Victor Martinez???

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

What about them? Great mentions, just not MY personal favorites! BBT

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Russell said...

Wasn't Johnny Bench the original Pudge?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home