Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Are We Almost There

You know, I was thinking. This past Sunday I was in the car going to Adrian for small group. My niece Tricia and her daughter Cora were riding with me. Now, it's about a 40 minute drive from Milan to Adrian and mostly back roads. We couldn't have been more than ten minutes into the drive and had not even made it to Dundee when from the back seat I hear the sweet sounds of a four year old asking "are we almost there"? Now I know that every parent, grand parent, uncle, aunt, and GREAT UNCLE have heard this many times in their lives. A child who is anticipating getting to a place where they are going to see friends and have fun just can't wait to get to the destination. As with most children this was not the only time I heard this question on our way to Adrian. If you sprinkle in a couple "the light's green now", "I want my mommy" (she was sitting right there) and "how much longer" you could say that the drive never lacked for conversation. But a child's curiosity and anticipation far out weigh any kind of logical or accurate answer.
I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to do the same thing with God. I am anticipating His working in my life! I want things to happen right now and I sometimes forget that we have to do a little "driving" before I can get to my destination! I sometimes like to let God know that the light is green now and I have to admit that I often want to know how much longer the trip is going to take. But God in his infinite wisdom just gently reminds me "we'll get there soon"! He is in complete control. Like Cora, I am strapped in back in my car seat just riding it out. That is if I remain obedient! Could you imagine a four year old climbing over the seat, pushing me out of the car and taking matters into her own hands? Yet, how many times have I tried to do that to God? How many times am I tired of taking the back roads and want to go in the fast lane and travel breakneck speeds? Too many to count!
I found out a couple of things this past week. God really does take and keep control over ALL things. He allows us to go through some growing pains just because He loves us enough to let us grow a little more. He is big enough to deal with us! He can handle our impatience, frustrations, anger, hurt, rejection and yes even our over reactions to situations. He is truly a God who is loving and kind. I don't always understand His ways, but I am learning to trust them. Be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Kodiak said...

Great message Doug.
Just be thankful you're not Moses!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Russell said...

Hey! So what's the deal with no IM this week?

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger where's jim? said...

are we there yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home