Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My First Sense Of Belonging

You know, I was thinking. Growing up in a traditional blue collar home was pretty typical in SE Michigan during the 60's & 70's. Dad was a drywaller and mom stayed at home and took care of the family. This held true up to 1973 when my dad was injured and their rolls would eventually be reversed. But I can remember back in those early days when, because we had such a large family, that we often had get togethers. Those times growing up with all of the aunts, uncles and cousins around really takes me back. Nobody cared about what each other had or what each other really looked like. We were family and we truly loved one another. It wasn't unusual for the adults to be engaged in a game of horseshoes or cards while us kids would go wondering around in the woods or start up a baseball game. Everyone cared about each other and I cannot remember a single time when things weren't wonderful. But that is the perspective of a child and I am sure there were things going on that mom and dad just took care of and didn't bother us with the details. We had trust that we would always be alright. That's what happens in community! Those who are the responsible ones take care of things while everyone else just does whatever it is that they do. There is a lot of love, trust, care and communication.

This may not seem like much to some people but the idea of community and family go hand in hand. To this day the Mollette-Fraley-Couture clan goes out of our way to make sure that these family get togethers continue. We have the determination that we all have to stay close and to love each other the best way we possibly can. When you have a real family you have real community and when you have real community you have a real family. Be blessed beyond belief today.

2 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

That is very nice. Family gatherings are alot of fun and make time to reconnect...until next time. Thanks for sharing. By the way, I miss you DEP. Will you be joining the Bacus small group anytime soon....or MUST we have a party to see you??????!!!!!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I have had a wonderful experience each time I've had the pleasure of coming to a mollette compound reunion. thanks for making me think back to my happy childhood memories too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home