Wednesday, February 28, 2007

This Day In History

You know, I was thinking. Today is February 28, 2007. I was curious this morning as to what, if any, significance this date might have in history. So I went on line and looked a few things up and here is some of what I found:

Births:
1948 - Bernadette Peters
1955 - Gilbert Gottfried
Deaths:
1979 - Mr. Ed (if you don't know who Mr. Ed was then you are way too young to read this blog)
Events:
1883 - The first U.S. Vaudeville theatre opens in Boston
1983 - The final episode of M*A*S*H airs on CBS (I nearly cried)

But the most significant event that happened on this date was in 2006 when I met the beautiful Rachel Galffy! I remember well the drive over to Telegraph and 12 Mile to meet her at Starbucks. On the drive over there I received a call from EK telling me that my great niece Ellen (actually turned out to be Emily) had swallowed a barrette and was in the hospital. I thought GREAT, here I am going to meet a woman and these kids are trying to mess it up. Well, I decided that there was nothing that I could do to help with Emily so I went on to Starbucks. I got there (a little early) and waited for about 15 - 20 minutes. You see she was advised by her sister that she shouldn't let some guy that she had never met even know what kind of car she drove so she was intentionally late to make sure that I was there first. I recognized her from her on line picture when she walked in. She went up to the counter and she ordered tea. She turned around and stopped at the table I was at and said "are you Doug?" I thought for a minute and realized that I was indeed Doug so I said "yes." This was how it all began. That Starbucks still holds some special meaning to us. When we went there back on August 28th to celebrate the six month aniversary of our first meeting, I asked Rachel to marry me. Now we are almost two month in to a wonderful marriage and God has continued to bless us richly. I often think of how much I would be missing in my life if it wasn't for Rachel and I thank God every day that she is my wife. Be blessed beyond belief today.

7 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took the time to think about who you were before answering, cause if you would have just opened your mouth without thinking, who knows what would have happend.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a whirlwind 12 months it has been!! We're all glad that you introduced Rachel into our lives!!

I will be tipping back some beany brew in your honor this morning.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the meeting of the Divine Mrs. M. What an historic event it was. It should be in the history books by the next printing, don'tcha think?

Congrats on a full year of Rachel in your life.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger big j said...

Now be careful your sounding like me. All warm and fuzzy. And you know what happen when that happens.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Yeah, people like me will make fun of you. B4T

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dougie is in LoVe. I love you Dougie puppet lips!!! HahA

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great testimony of stepping out of your comfort zone. We all get complacent, but when we are willing to make sacrifices and fully rely upon God (F.R.O.G.)He can do wonders beyond our imagination. Congrats to you both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home