Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Pudgeman On Roids

You know, I was thinking. It never ceases to amaze me about going to the doctor. Almost three weeks ago I went to my internist to talk to him about my knee pain. I told him "I have severe arthritis in my knees, especially the right one, and I need to do something about it." I also told him that I had been to a doctor about 12 years ago and he told me that about the only thing that could be done to correct the knee problem was to have it replaced. Well, the good doctor told me that he wanted to do some x-rays and consider all of the alternatives. I thought that was wise so I went ahead and followed his plan of action.
Well, yesterday was my follow up appointment and much to my surprise the doctor comes in and says to me "you have severe arthritis in your knees, especially the right one." He continued to say "about the only thing that can be done to correct the problem is to have the knee replaced!" I thought to myself that I have heard this somewhere before!
Anyway, the game plan is to push the replacement off for as long as is humanly possible. He suggested that I try a steroid shot in my right knee to see if that would bring some relief. Well, it was very difficult getting the shot in where it belonged because of the knee is basically bone on bone but he finally got the needle in there. The neat thing about it was that there was a lot of ladicane in the injection so immediately after he was done there was no pain what so ever. That was the first time in a couple of decades that I had no pain at all. Now, as the night went on the ladicane wore off but there was significantly less pain in my knee then their had been. This morning the knee felt pretty darn good! We don't know how long the injection will last but the doc said that he wouldn't do it more than three times a year. I hope to push off the surgery until I'm at least in my mid fifties (about ten years) and still be able to do the things that I want to do.
So now I am just waiting for some congressional sub-committee somewhere to bring me in to talk about steroid use among mid level managers! I can't wait to sit there and say things like "no comment" and "I don't recall the events of that day"! But until that time I will continue using as long as I get results! Be blessed beyond belief today.

11 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mid Fifties... 10 years from now....

HA!

ps. Why aren't you on IM anymore?

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Because my office has been moved right next door to the owner! B4T

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Raivynn said...

I sympathize, Doug. I hope the injections help, but ask your doctor about the effect of waiting (and aging) against the possibility of having the knee replacement sooner. I say this due to a co-worker a few years back, late 40's, who had his knee replacement instead of lengthy injection therapy because his doctor advised that in 5-6 years when it would become absolute neccessity, his body would be older (duh) and less able to adapt and accept the new knee.

Make sure this is something your insurance isn't pushing the doc to do to save costs. Something which may actually cost them more in the long run, as well as cuasing you longer pain and suffering.

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. Now that Raivynn has chimed in with my same sentiments I can comment as well.

My father in law has been getting shots in his back for disc problems rather than having surgery and I have always felt wrong about that. In my most humble opinion, I believe the creator put nerves in our bodies that tell us when something is wrong for a reason.

But, as always, what would I do when placed in that decision myself... whobody knows!?!?

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Raivynn & Russ you both are making some good points here but there are a couple of things to think about. A replacement joint only lasts so many years. The reason taht you want to wait is so that you might not have to go through the surgery again. As we get older our activities slow down and the joint lasts longer. Secondly, injections in the back are way different than injections in a joint! I don't particularly care for the experience and I am not trying to say that it is a good solution but here are a couple of things to remember. This is not a life threatening illness! The decisions on what to do are based on what I decide and not the docs. There is nothing weird going on with insurance right now. With our plant closing down and a new career on the horizon I think it is better to wait until I get myself established. For the most part I know that eventually both knees will need replacing and that will be the only solution but for now, I want to stay as active as possible without having to go under the knife. B4T

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Stef Tarapchak said...

My coworker had waited a little while to do this. He had both knees replaced at the same time. Said it was the best decision he made. My mother-in -law is waiting on a knee replacement surgery date and we are trying to talk her into doing both knees at the same time as well. You know your body and what it can withstand. But I would suggest doing both at once and get 'er done!!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Stef, I do plan on doing both knees at the same time. It is the best plan in my mind. I want everyone to understand that I am not just waiting for the sake of waiting. Statistically you are twice as likely to need a second replacement for a knee joint if you do it at 45 compared to 65! I know it might sound strange to want to endure pain that might be unnecessary, but I want to make the best long term decision here. I do appreciate everyone who is chiming in on this though, it is making me think about what the right thing to do would be. B4T

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I'm so sorry Pudge, but with the title of your post, I assumed your malady lay somewhere south of your navel and north of your knee caps....BUTT I am so happy to see your doctor has rectified the situation....

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know knee pain I have been diagnosed with Petellafemoral injury. I am certain yours is more painful. I did a quick search for alternatives to knee replacement and saw this site:
http://www.supartz.com/
I know nothing about this stuff or if its the same thing your Dr put in you knee. I looks like its fairly new.
\o/ praizes

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any good side affects yet? Dare I say have you enjoyed any "Pugde Rage"? Anything growing where it should not be? Feel driven to go back to the gym and toss some iron around? What about facial hair? I was on some roids last year for Poison Ivy, and that really whacked me out! IDYBT...IMBO

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Hey when the time does come to have your knee replaced. Lew might be able to hook you up with a new knee at a discounted Rate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home