Friday, July 06, 2007

A Night With The Whole Family


You know, I was thinking. Yesterday Rachel, the boys and I took a little road trip up to Traverse City to see Sarah. This is the first time that the rest of the family have met her and the night went off without a hitch. We are all staying at the Great Wolf Lodge which is a fantastic, family oriented place. They have got a huge indoor waterpark which got the best of Daniel after only two hours so you know there must be a lot to do. While Rachel, Sarah, Daniel and yours truly went down to get wet, Micheal stayed in the room and allowed his laptop to entertain him for the rest of the evening. He slept on the coach next to where Rachel and I slept and I know that he was up until at least 2 a.m. How can a kid stay on a computer that long and not even blog! Oh well back to the evening. So at about 9 last night Rachel and Sarah decided that they had enough fun and wanted to go back to the room, Daniel on the other hand wasn't done yet. So, being the good dad that I am, I volunteered to stick around with the boy. Luckily for me there was a bar and an ice cold Blue made the time pass a little more pleasantly! Daniel lasted until 9:30 and asked ME if we could go back to the room. Of course I allowed that, I'm not a slave driver you know.
So the boy and I head back to the room. Rachel is just getting ready to order pizza for us and I am getting ready to hit the shower. So there we were Micheal on his laptop, Rachel pulled out hers and starting looking at real estate again (go figure) Daniel split his time between watching TV and watching whatever Micheal was doing on his laptop and Sarah and I just sat there eating pizza together and talking! That in is a good night in my book. We all had a lot of fun, a lot of laughs but most importantly it had that feel of family. I can't believe how quickly Rachel and the boys integrated things with Sarah. It really was like we all belonged together. I guess that's just one dad's euphoric way of looking at things. Let me put it like this, the smile I had on my face last night is still there this morning. It is now almost 9 a.m. I am the only one awake. We have to check out in only a couple of hours and as badly as I need to continue this day there is a part of me that would like to make time stand still and live in this moment for awhile. Sitting here with my coffee, my laptop, my quiet time and my family surrounding me (even though they are sleeping and at least three of them are snoring at any given time) is a blessing from God that I just can't begin to put into words.
Shortly we will be on our way back down state. I'm sure we will stop for some cherries on the way home. Daniel is off to his dad's house tonight and will be going to camp for a week on Sunday. Rachel and I will turn around and hit the road for Pennsylvania on Sunday morning. Micheal will be doing whatever it is Micheal does when we're not at home (don't really want to know as long as the police aren't involved) and Sarah will be back to her life up here in the greater Traverse City area. Take time today to live in those little moments that God blesses you with. Enjoy the people that you have in your life and realize that things are happening way too fast out there and we all need to slow down and love on each other for awhile. Be blessed beyond belief today.

7 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you say hello to the Great Wolf?

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might say he had a howling good time.

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Glad to hear that everything went so well for all of you. Some day maybe you'll introduce Sarah to the rest of this extended family (could it be any more extended?).

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...wow! That photo of Rachel sure does show that she is the Pudge's daughter!

Thanks for sharing your family experiences!

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My photos are better. Tom it is Sarah, on Rachel. Call me. love ya

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Well we are back home now and yes I understood Tom and he is right, she does resemble her daddy just a bit! It was a very quick trip but very nice. I know it might seem like I am keeping her from my "extended family" but it has a lot to do with her schedule. Anyway we are back home for about 36 hours and then on the road again. B4T

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Rachel, Sarah....all beautiful ladies from the bible....it's hard to keep them straight! You are truly blessed bro!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home