Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Battlefield Of The Mind

You know, I was thinking. In Romans 12:2 Paul talks about "no longer conforming to the likeness of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." The mind is where it all starts for the children of God. It can be a pure mountain stream or a poluted city river and the wierd thing is that we choose what it will be. We have complete control of what goes into our brains, what we dwell or meditate on, what we make important and what we think is unimportant. It is completely up to us what we allow into our heads! But how does allowing God to renew our minds transform us? It really is a simple answer, when I allow myself to meditate on the things of God, I am allowing the Holy Spirit to do his work of sanctification (clean up) in me. I make it possible for more of God Himself to enter into what I think and do. When I allow all of the things of this world to dominate my thoughts, then I am preventing the Holy Spirit from doing His work in me. Here are some of the areas that I have been working on lately that seem to help me. First of all I have changed what I listen to on the radio. This might seem small but when you spend a great deal of time driving around like I do, you have a lot of time to listen. I have been listening to a local Christian station almost all of the time now and I believe that this has helped me with keeping perspective and ultimately my peace. The next thing is to listen to God more and talk less! Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly in prayer. But part of that time with the Father needs to be spent listening.
Hey, I don't have all of the answers to what we need to do to get closer to our Father and become more like Jesus. In fact, I probably mess it up more than anything else. But I will never quit trying to change the man that I am into the man that God wants me to be. Be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

Great post DEP. This is so true. I too need to continue the CHANGE. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Russell said...

Garbage In. Garbage Out.

BUT! Don't neglect the gutter my friend. (Can you tell which book I'm reading right now?) Jesus said once that healthy people don't need a doctor. (Matthew 9:12) We must take it to the streets and heal the sick. Sometimes that involves being in the gutter next to the sick. We spend too much time scratching our own backs (worshiping with christians, praying with christians, eating with christians, playing with christians, etc.) and not enough time reaching the sick.

On a side note, switching my radio dial has thoroughly enhanced my life. It's an amazing thing when you think about how simple a change that is.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

great thoughts once again. I too have changed to listening to mostly christian stations. It really does set a better mood for my day.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

Great post DEP and comment Russ. So often I get complacent. I like where I am that I don't allow the HS to minister to me so I don't grow as much as I should.

\o/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home