Wednesday, November 09, 2005

You'd Think That I Would Know Better

You know, I was thinking. This past Sunday I and about 150 of my closest friends got to experience my pride really come out! As is not unusual for me, I had the opportunity to lead the opening prayer for Sunday morning service. Something that I began doing months ago is that I also read a scripture that I selected for the occasion. Now, this was a powerful scripture from the Psalms and was beautiful to read..............................unless you read it like I did! You see, on the corner of the stage where the mic is for the prayer person, there is very little light. As a person who can see the age of forty in his rear view mirror, trying to read under those conditions is not recommended. I should have known when I opened my bible and said to myself "where'd all the words go" that this wasn't a good idea! Oh, but not me! I began to read a couple.........of........... words.............. at ..............a............. time. About half way through I pulled off my glasses, well that didn't help nearly enough and made it very evident what the problem was. The entire time there was this voice in the back of my head screaming out STOP! JUST STOP! These people love you and would understand that you just can't read the words on the page so JUST STOP! But then this tiny little voice said to me.................you can do this! Just keep going, you can do this. The sad thing is that all I had to do was move the mic five feet to the left and all would have been fine, but NO, I had to finish what I started. Bottom line, Dougie can't read! Well at least not in poor lighting conditions! But, I finished the scripture (seemed like about a half hour later) and prayed the prayer (thank goodness it finished with something other than that reading). I then went back to my seat saying "God is in control, God is in control".
Now, why do I share this one. First of all I find it quite humorous........... now. Second, I think that when those of us who have been doing things like this for over two decades get up and absolutely fall flat on their faces and still don't get discouraged, that should say a lot to people who don't have as much experience. What I am saying is that perfection is something that we will experience after this life is over. Don't sweat the small stuff. Laugh when it's funny, cry when it's sad, and live every day for Jesus. Be blessed beyond belief today.

3 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Four-Leaf K' lover said...

Well Doug, I personally enjoyed the quite laughter that I held within. Oh yeah, I have already shared that with you. I'll leave it at that....but do know that I love ya.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger big j said...

Now you know how I feel when I try to talk on a normal basis. and I'm not reading a thing. um. ;->

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

:D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home