Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Remembering

You know, I was thinking. Marion Jackson (Bub) Mollette was born on March 26, 1924. It was exactly 11 years ago today that I was sitting in the training room at Eby Brown in Ypsilanti. I was going through procedures with a new CDL driver when the call came. It was my sister-in-law Renee telling me that they had rushed dad to the hospital. The moment that she said it I knew that we had lost dad. This was indeed one of the sadest days of my life and I didn't know how to deal with the pain of losing him! But somhow, with God's help I figured it out. Today, I have a number of fond memories of dad, one of which I would like to share with all of you today.
I couldn't have been more than 6 years old at the time. It was a Saturday evening is about all I can remember about the date. Dad and I were sitting in the living room and he put on a record that he loved to listen to. It was Buddy Emmons who played steel guitar jazz! Now, if you have never heard steel guitar jazz, you don't know what you're missing. It was getting up kind of late in the evening so I was already in my pajamas and I was laying on the couch with my head on dad's lap listening to the record. The next thing I know, it was morning and I was waking up in my bed! I knew immediately that I had fallen asleep on my father's lap and that he had carefully carried me up the stairs and put me to bed without waking me up. There was such a peace and love that was there with that very tough and diciplined man. A gentleness that not everyone got to see. That moment has been burned deep into my memory and I pray that I never forget it.
My father was not perfect. He was simply a man. But, if I can become even a tenth of what he was, I will live an incredibly blessed life. We all have a perfect Father though, one who's love and care are perfect. God loves me more that dad was ever able to love me. That absolutely blows my mind. I am just thankful that I had a dad who loved me the best he could. Be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God for those of us that have pleasant memories of our earthly father. It is a much shorter leap of faith for us than for those who did not have a father or there were problems in the home. That is to understand how our Heavenly Father loves and care for us. But when those without those memories do come to know the Father it brings such joy and comfort. ...

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Russell said...

I just did the same thing last night! Tanner and I both fell asleep on the couch. I woke up a couple hours later and moved us to bed. I LOVE that!

(I happen to also be in the 'EXTREMELY BLESSED WITH MY EARTHLY FATHER' crowd.)

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great memory!!! I just wish I could have met him. Love ya!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

Praise God for the memories. Makes us so much more excited to get to heaven and be reunited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home