Friday, October 06, 2006

College Community NOT Community College

You know, I was thinking. I was priviledged enough to have the opportunity to attend Michigan Christian College after high school. I had been a Christian for about three years before I graduated high school so I was seasoned and ready to meet the challenges of the real world. When I began my freshman year at college I found it very easy to make friends. Most of the other kids were Christians as well so we all had that common bond of Christ, but we were still very young, immature and selfish so we would often change with the blowing of the wind. I was blessed with being a part of the Acapella Chorus at school and really found a nitch at the time. We spent two hours a day, five days a week in rehearsals. So we got to know each other pretty well. I had never sang in a group before so I had a great deal to learn but not a whole lot to offer musically. But those around me helped me to learn what I needed to learn so that I could develop both as a singer and as a person. I was able to give back in other ways but I always felt like I took more that first year than I gave back. Once I began my sophomore year, things changed. I was more on board with the program then. I had deveoped a few more skills and was able to better hold my own musically. I felt better about myself and about the fact that I was doing more giving than taking. By the time I was a senior I was not only the bass section leader but also was mentoring and teaching others the very same skills that I had learned as a freshman.

Real community often begins with us on the receiving side of things. Many times we become surrounded by people who want to help us develop in whatever area it is that we need development. The beautiful thing about real community is that as time goes on the taker becomes the giver and the circle of love and appreciation continues on thoughout the passage of time. When you belong to a giving community it is alright to take what you need from it! Just remember that some day, you WILL give something in return. Be blessed beyond belief today.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could talk for days and days about the community I had in college. That alone is worth all the money I am now paying for my education.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

You have a great discription of discipleship, here. It's what most churches lack, discipleship that is. And that's Biblical. You trained other musicians, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home