Thursday, October 05, 2006

Community-The Junior High Band

You know, I was thinking. When I think about the different communities that I have been a part of over the years I immediately begin to think of Junior High School and the band. You see, I was the fat kid at school. I did have a large circle of friends and did build good relationships but I never felt that I was on the same level. I always worked really hard in order to be liked (a 13 year olds perspective) and was hurt easily and often. There was one place that I could certainly hold my own and that was the band. I was a very good young trumpet player if I do say so myself and seeing that I just did we'll leave it at that. I was always somewhere in the top five chairs (out of 15 trumpet players) so I felt good about my ability to play. The band was a place where I was accepted and liked for who I was and the talent that I had. I didn't have to go out of my way to prove myself. I was probably the most at ease when sitting there behind a music stand. It just seemed so natural.

When we enter into real community with other people it should feel natural. We should be at ease to be exactly who God made us. So many times in life we have to take on certain roles at work or in the home where we may not be so naturally gifted. For instance a very loving and kind father might have to take on the roll of strict diciplinarian from time to time. A role that might not be so natural but is important. A mother and wife might run a well organized home and keep many things in order. She might even hold down a career outside the home, but sometimes finds it challenging to be the gourmet chef that she aspires to be! A business man who has a fear of public speaking might be the one chosen to give the big presentation at a regional sales meeting. We all get put into roles that are uncomfortable from time to time, but when we have true community we can be exactly who we are no matter what that might be.

Do you have a community of God loving people that you belong to? Do you have a place where you can go and be exactly who you are and not have hide any part of your personality due to fear? If your answer is no or I am not sure then keep following this blog for the next few days, I have a couple of ideas that might just help you. Be blessed beyond belief today.

1 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Hawkman - Great passage! When we experience real love we aren't afraid to be ourselves! Back to that little man syndrome again! B4T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home