Monday, October 09, 2006

A Place Where Everybody Knows Your Name

You know, I was thinking. There have been many occasions in my life where I have been a part of communities that have not been good for me. When I was in my mid 30's I spent a great deal of time going to bars. Ususally on the weekends when there was karaoke! I would spend a great deal of time and money going to these places to get my weekly social fix. One particular place that became very near and dear to my heart was the Monte Carlo Bar in Taylor. They had karaoke every Friday night and it was rare not to see me there. You could say that I would have been classified as the "Norm" of the bar. All of the regulars knew me and the bartender would have my favorite beer sitting in front of me as soon as I sat down. I was the life of the party most of the time even before I began drinking. I was funny, charming, upbeat and could hold my own while singing a karaoke tune. My friends became much like family and I thought that this was how my life was supposed to be. Yep, going to a bar, getting drunk, singing off key, acting stupid for about four hours then going home and puking! Yes, the good life!

Sometimes our communities are empty. Even though I did make some good friends at that time, none of those relationships are alive today. One thing that the enemy likes to do is to help us find those self destroying activities and convince us that they are fun. Even better, that they are better than relationships with God! I found out after a few years of this kind of fellowship that I wasn't growing in my life (except around the waist) and that I wasn't making any real friends. I knew that my life had become empty and hollow and that I didn't like the person that I was becomming! Unfortunately there was more bad community projects for me to explore in the near future and they were just as bad if not worse than this. More about that tomorrow. But for today, be cautious of where you spend your time and who you spend it with. Be blessed beyond belief today.

1 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one am glad that you became who you are and am also glad that I am in "this batch" of friends. :)

Be blessed, bro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home