Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday Feast - An Ode To Juice

You know, I was thinking. For the past couple of months I have been trying (and mostly suceeding) to live a healtier lifestyle. I have been doing a lot of things that just make me feel better. One of the areas that I have changed is what I drink. I was always a huge coffee drinker. I mean the strongest most caffinated stuff you could find! I also liked my pop pretty well also. I would drink sometimes up to three pops a day. Now, I have one cup of regular coffee each day and I will drink mostly water and juice. I have discovered some wonderful things about drinking juice. First of all it tastes good and secondly I get a lot more vitamins from it. Here are my top five that I drink regularly:

5 - Apple - Not my very favorite but it is readily available in most places and it does taste good.

4 - Cranberry - Not cranapple or crangrape but regular cranberry. This is also a good mixer!

3 - Grapefurit - They have this in the vending machines at work and I just plain like the taste of the Ruby Red made by Dole. If the label is correct, I get 100% of my vitamin C in one bottle.

2 - Orange - Don't give me any of that tart stuff. Orange juice should be sweet and have lots of pulp!

1 - V8 - By far my favorite juice. Great taste but if you have to watch sodium closely (I don't) this might not be the best selection for you. My usual breakfast will include this with a couple of boiled eggs! Great way to start a day.

I hope all of you have a great weekend and are blessed beyond belief today!

6 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the sounds of it you are refering to straight up V8 and not the sugary Splash version. Glad somebody can drink that stuff...

My favorite juice is something I discovered next door at the gas station in the energy drink section. It's called Rumba Energy Juice and it's non-carbonated and 100% juice. It's great, but at a little over $2 a pop it's costly.

Speaking of pop, I've been pop free for roughly 8 months now. Water and Tea for me.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

I like white grape juice. my absolute favorite. Oh, and barley juice (right kel)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Bruiser your opinion always counts! B4T

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I liked pop too. Sure do miss him. What about prune?? there is lots you can do with red grape? regular cranberry? THis is far too deep for me. Timbo

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey DEP, what about iced tea?

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . Dr. Thomas Bramwell Welch, wondered if the theories of Louis Pasteur could be applied to the processing of grapes to produce an unfermented wine that could be used in his church's communion service. One day with his wife and 17-year-old son, Charles, he picked about 40 pounds of Concord grapes from the family's yard. Taking over Mrs. Welch's kitchen, they cooked the grapes for a few minutes and then squeezed the juice through cloth bags into twelve quart bottles. After sealing the bottles with cork and wax, Dr. Welch lowered them into boiling water long enough to kill all yeast organisms in the juice and prevent fermentation - the same technique used in the pasteurization of milk. For weeks the family waited, listening for the explosion that would signify failure. But no explosions occurred and when the bottles were opened, Dr. Welch discovered he had succeeded in producing a sweet, unfermented grape juice. He convinced his pastor to try his unfermented wine, as he called it, and began processing and selling a limited amount to churches in Southern New Jersey and Southeast Pennsylvania. Little did he realize that he was starting a new industry - the fruit juice industry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home