Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rachel Wednesday #3

You know, I was thinking. I know that all of you have been hanging on the edge of your seats to find out about the date that would change my life. I thought about writing on and on before I got to the point, but some of the other bloggers do that enough. When last we left the saga of Doug and Rachel we had finished our first dinner and movie date and had decided that we wanted to see one another again that next week. Because of our schedules, we hadn't nailed down a day and time yet. Now at this time Rachel had begun to get very busy with a musical that her church was doing for Easter. I (unknown to Rachel) had another date planned for that Saturday with a different match from eharmony! Don't judge me now, things hadn't gotten serious yet and I had to keep my options open. As the week progressed she and I emailed a few times and had a couple of phone conversations. Things were just not looking good to schedule our third date, but suddenly on Thursday afternoon the person that I was supposed to see on Saturday cancelled our date! I was not overly surprised about this but I immediately sent an email off to Rachel. The next day we made plans to meet at Chili's in Novi at 6:00 on March 11.
Now, this was probably the warmest day of the year thus far, we hit temperatures in the low sixties if memory serves me correctly. I got to the restaurant a little early to get our names on the list (around 5 p.m.) because Rachel had a deadline to be heading home around 9:00 that night. She had to be back to pick up her youngest son from a church function. When she walked in at just a couple of minutes after 6 and I've got to tell you that I was impressed. She had her hair pulled back and was decked out in a very lovely dress! WOW! Now, let me tell you that a woman's commitment to God and her basic personality are the most important things to the Pudgeman, but when she's got all that and looks great at the same time, then we call that a bonus. I immediately complimented her on how she looked that evening (I may not have dated much, but I know how to be smooth) and we began talking as we waited only about 10 more minutes for our table. We sat down and began talking again (she holds up her end of a conversation very well). We knew that we had plenty of time at the restaurant because there were no plans for anything afterwards. We talked about everything imaginable (this is the night that I found out that she was fond of men with beards) and because one of the movies that we had considered seeing the previous week was "Madea's Family Reunion" I just so happen to bring the DVD of "Diary Of A Mad Black Woman" for her to watch at home. My thoughts we two fold. First if she had a DVD of mine, then she would have to see me again to return it. Secondly, if she liked this movie, then I was a shoe in for another date! I am a man of several plans some times.
We sat and talked and really began to connect that night. I left there knowing that I really cared about this woman. She was spiritual, funny, caring, thoughtful and beautiful. But what impressed me the most (beyond all reason) was that she seemed to like me! I guess you could say that I was smitten! After that date I knew that I had met someone special and that I wanted to see her again. Just before we left the table I asked her if she wanted to get together for another date. She responded positively to this proposal and we tentatively planned on another dinner and movie night the following Saturday.
What would happen over the next two weeks would prove to be both exciting and heart wrenching, but you'll have to wait until next week to hear more of that story. Be blessed beyond belief today.

7 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's actually refered to as "All that and a bag of chips."

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jay said...

You know, I was thinking.
I was more than 10% right on the beard thing, you gotta give me at least 30% for guessing that it was because of Rachel!

So thats it, thats all we get?
Go figure!!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

For now! I got to keep you wanting more don't I? B4T

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so are "The Days of our Lives"...

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Superman said...

Doug you a mad chick magnet!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Kodiak said...

You need to update you picture. I had a great time getting to know more about Rachel while playing Euchre. She really is everything you say and more.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Ya the deer in the headlights thing is not really you...oh never mind....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home