Monday, June 05, 2006

Under The Weather

You know, I was thinking. I am feeling a little bit under the weather today. I seem to either have some kind of an allergy or sinus thing going on that has just been kicking my butt the last couple of days. So I am breaking down and going to the doctor this afternoon to get this check out. I am a typical male who would rather "tough it out" most of the time instead of just going to get checked out but I just feel that bad. Of course I still hit the gym this morning and I am at my desk working right now (well I am blogging right now, work will follow shortly). But I got to thinking what does the phrase "under the weather" really mean? Aren't we always under the weather unless we are in an airplane flying above the clouds? We know that this phrase indicates a person doesn't feel well but where did it originate and what does it really mean? Can somebody out there in Blogville help a brother out? Give me your thoughts and of course be blessed beyond belief today.

4 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under the Weather

This popular phrase for "ill" dates back to 1827. It is commonly believed that bad weather can make you sick.

I have heard that "under the weather" is an old sailor phrase. When men were sick, they would rest below deck and thus were literally "under" the weather on deck.

P.S. you looked a little "under the weather" yesterday. I pray you feel better....

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jay said...

What he said, You weren't much of a challenge yesterday! so please go to the doctor and get fixed.
It's no fun whan your Pudge gets sick!!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Why is it I knew that Jim would come up strong on this one? Don't worry ONOM, I will be back into my normal (whatever that is) ways soon. B4T

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under the weather

Meaning: To be ill.

Example: I'd love to help you move all your furniture next weekend, but I expect to be feeling a bit under the weather.

Origin: Passengers aboard ships become seasick most frequently during times of rough seas and bad weather. Seasickness is caused by the constant rocking motion of the ship. Sick passengers go below deck, which provides shelter from the weather, but just as importantly the sway is not as great below deck, low on the ship.
On a ship the greatest swaying action is on deck, and the most stable point is down near the keel. Hence seasick passengers tend to feel better below deck.

Some illnesses like rheumatism and arthritis act during time of poor weather. Sufferers from those ailments are literally under the influence of the weather

Courtesy of aol.

So, no picking on DEP's grammatical errors today due to his illness . . . . Get better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home