Thursday, July 26, 2007

Professional Job Searching

You know, I was thinking. I have been offically out of work for two weeks now and am going out of my mind with sending resumes, talking on the phone and doing follow up emails. I haven't done much interviewing yet just one sit down and about a half a dozen phone interviews with companies and recruiters.

There are some things that I am learning along the way that have become very helpful in presenting myself in the best light possible and I thought I would share them with you. Some of them I have learned from other people but most of them are my own personal observations:

1. It is better to type your resume rather than using crayolas! I thought that color would get more attention, I guess some people don't have the same fondness for burnt siena as I do!

2. When talking on the phone it is best to put your lunch down and try not to burp.

3. When scheduling an interview the statement "2 o'clock really doesn't work for me, can we do three? My nap is usually over with by then." is often followed by the sound of the dial tone.

4. When going to an interview it is important to look your best. Although freshly pressed pants are not a requirement, I have found that wearing pants is!

5. "Bringing comic relief to the office" should really not be listed as a job skill!

6. Most companies do not consider Gene Roddenberry's birthday as a national holiday so don't make it a deal breaker when negotiating a contract for employment!

7. Speak clearly, confidently and look the interviewer square in the eye..... but resist the urge to speak in pig latin!

8. When being asked questions about previous employment it is a bad idea to begin any statement with the words "well, in one of my past lives I was..."!

9. It is better to ask what a particular companies policies are concerning conflict resolution than to ask "what are the rules of engagement?"

10. Do not every under any circumstances say something like "my personal psychic said you'd hire me today!"

11. Do not take a job when they list lottery tickets as their retirement plan.

12. Never put on a resume or admit in an interview that the murder charges being dropped because of a police screw up.

13. When applying for a job on line, most companies will ask you questions about your race, ethnicity and sex that you can answer only if you wish. If you do answer them make sure that you answer them honestly. I found it hard portraying a black, latino, jewish woman but nearly got the job!

I hope that these tips will help anyone else out there who is looking for a job! The most important things really are to be honest, accurate, confident, neat looking but most importantly never take your beer into the interview with you! Be blessed beyond belief today.

7 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

wow you and steel both posted hilariously today! Gene Roddenberry's birthday...pure gold farming!

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I would add this, ironically it was just emailed today.

Have you ever had a resume rejected? Don't ever let it happen again. The next time that nasty old rejection letter comes your way, respond with your
own:

Dear [Interviewer's Name]:

Thank you for your letter of . After careful consideration I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me employment with your firm. This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite 's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet with my needs at this time. Therefore, I will initiate employment with your firm beginning on . I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future candidates.

Sincerely,

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Raivynn said...

Even the comments had me rolling! ^.^

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Me too! Beleive me Kodiak I can't wait to get another rejection email because I WILL do it! B4T

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my aren't we the comic of the day!!!! Seriously though, good luck and i hope you find something soon. Love you guys, yes even you doug every now and then.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

I think I feel a tear welling up in my eye! B4T

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well did you go check to see if something was in your eye? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home