Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Southern Linguistics

You know, I was thinking. While in the south this past weekend I realized that somethings were much the same as they are here in the north. It's just that people in the south have a unique way of saying things. Here are some examples of Michigan events and their southern counterparts:

At the Newsong Community Church we have "Family Time", at the Highland Church Of Christ in Paintsville Kentucky they have "Huggin & Howdy Time".

In Michigan we have "Hunting Dogs", in Kentucky they have "Huntin Dawgs".

If you have been confined to your house for an extened period of time in Michigan you get "Cabin Fever", in Kentucky the "Walls are fallin in on ya".

In Michigan people drink beer and chat, in Kentucky people drink beer, and drink beer, and drink beer...

In Michigan people live in a house on a lot, in Kentucky people live in a trailer on a hill.

In certain places in Michigan people get shot in the streets, in Kentucky people get shot in the mountains never to be seen again.

In Michigan we have U of M Football, in Kentucky they have U of K Basketball.

In Michigan if it snows we plow out and move on, in Kentucky they plow down the driveway on the mountain and hope like crazy they get back up it!

In Michigan we can go up north to the U.P., in Kentucky all they can go up north to is Ohio!

In Michigan we have certain times of the year when many counties get dry, in Kentucky they have many Dry Counties.

In Michigan they have Mollette's (pronounced MUH-LET-TEES), in Kentucky they have Mollette's (pronounced MUH-LETS).

In Michigan those who need financial help go on welfare, in Kentucky they go on assistance.

Finally,
In Michigan we have fudge and make cars, in Kentucky they have moonshine and make baseball bats.

Be blessed today!

10 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Russell said...

I've been to the Louisville Slugger museum. It's very cool. The big baseball bat outside is a nice touch. I'm going to have to take Tanner there sometime. Thanks for the fun Mr. Mullet.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger big j said...

well dep this one time I can't say nothing but o.k. :-/

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger where's jim? said...

I have a question. If you are making a PB&J and after you put the butter on the bread you accidently take a bite of one of the slices of toaster buttered Koepplingers natrual wheat bread, should you put the Smuckers Strawberry Jelly on the side with the bite taken our of it or should you put the Jif (sp) on the side with the bite taken from it? This is of course assuming that you are putting the jelly on first because you do not want to fall into the 96% that put the Jif (sp) Creamy Peanut Butter on first. So???

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Alright brother this is easier than you think. First of all the apprpriate way to make a PB&J is to put the PB on one slice and the J on the other. If you choose to put on the sliced banana it goes on the PB side. You then carefully turn the J slice over on to the PB slice and there you have it. Now as far as the bite is concerned, just carefull take a bite out of the other slice of toast so that it precisely matches up to the first slice and then it doesn't matter what slice you put the PB or the J on. Hope this helps. BBT

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger where's jim? said...

Thanks for the wisdom. I never would have considered carefull bite of the other piece of toast. You are right, it is easier than I thought? think? thunk? Well I thunk and thunk...

Artist - Jefferson Airplane
Album - Bark
Lyrics - Thunk

sittin' around thinkin'
thinkin' and a thinkin'
and it ain't doin' me no good

well I thunk and I thunk
couldn't think of anything better
I tried and I tried
tryin' ain't doin' me no good
I write choo everyday, what could be
my very last letter
come what may I say

thinkin' ain't doin' me no good
thinkin' ain't doin' me no good people
thinkin' ain't doin' me no good, no good

I want to know, if everything that's sung
will remain
within the structure of a person
whose mind I wish to claim
please don't say that wantin' you
won't do me no good
please oh please don't say
wantin' you won't
wantin' you won't do me no good
wantin' you won't do me no good woman
wantin' you won't do me no good, no good

well I thunk thunk thunk thunk
a lot about it
realized my thunk is nuthin'
but a lot of funk
bunk down on in my place
only a dream (hum)
only a dream (hum)
only a dream (hum)

thinkin' ain't doin' me no good no
thinkin' ain't doin' me no good no people
thinkin' ain't doin' me no good no good

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

WHY? I think I've just been Jimmied! BBT

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

glad my phrase is catching on!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Sammy, Remember you are a trend setter. BBT

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Jay said...

One good thing about me and being mollette, is that most of the time I know when to keep quiet!!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

No you don't, you just get lucky sometimes. BBT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home